Friday, March 24, 2006

Big hand for poker star's final ambition

Poker player Clinton Orchard is bidding to qualify for his second World Championships - despite playing the game for just nine months.

The 32-year-old made it to last year's World Series in Las Vegas less than a month after taking up the game and has since pocketed more than £16,000.

He also qualified to play in the Caribbean Poker Classic on the island of St Kitts, where he played in the Littlewoods team along with former Chelsea and Ireland footballer Tony Cascarino, and faced Hollywood actress Jennifer Tilly.

Online Poker Room

Now the father-of-two, of Russet Close, St Ives, is hoping for further success by qualifying for this year's World Series in July.

He said: "Qualifying for the World Series so soon after taking up the game was an incredible achievement for me. It was a huge boost to my confidence to find myself lining up against some of the game's best players.

"It was a bit disappointment when I was knocked out but in reality it probably did come too soon for me.

"Now I am determined to qualify again this year and I am confident of going much further in the tournament and causing a few upsets along the way."

Poker Affiliate Marketing

Clinton said he thinks he has the skills to become a successful player but admits a little bit of luck is also needed.

He said: "I am very numerical and strategic and love managing people. In poker I am able to utilise all of those skills and get paid for it. I also think it helps that I am confident - but everyone needs a little bit of luck."

Clinton, who works as a marketing controller in Biggleswade, said he will not take up the game full time just yet.

Poker Affiliate Program

He said: "It has been incredible, I have had two amazing holidays and won lots of money, but I'll see how it goes before I become professional.

"However, if I win the World Series I may reconsider."

Poker Room